- Don't go on your phone: As soon as you pick up your phone you are showing that you aren't being attentive and that there is something more important for you to be doing. Unless your sister is giving birth or you're awaiting a phone call for a organ transplant then you've really got NO reason to be going on your phone. It's just plain rude.
- Don't dress inappropriately: First impressions are important and if you arrive to the date wearing something inappropriate then you are just setting yourself up to be instantly stereotyped. This one goes for girls mainly (sorry for being a traitor to my own gender) but sometimes on the show you see girls arriving in super low cut tops and extremely tight fitting dresses and it instantly changes the vibe of the date. Sticking with something that is nice yet flattering is always the best way to go.
- Don't talk about your problems: This is a date, not a counselling session. Sometimes people will talk on and on about their problems totally unaware that their date is looking bored out of their brains and wondering when it the best time to get the bill.
- Don't reveal too much: A first date is kind of like a job interview - you only should show your best qualities. Revealing that you have been dumped by everyone you have ever dated or that you have gotten fired from your last job will instantly be red flags in the other persons head. So be honest, but also keep a little mystery.
- Don't brag: Although yes you want only want to show your best qualities - don't over do it. Don't ramble on and on about how you were a gifted kid, and that you make a lot of money, and that you are the "best" at everything. Stay humble, humbleness is the nicest quality. You just look like a tosser when you brag.
- Don't laugh too much: If someone is saying things that are genuinely funny then laugh away, but don't laugh to feed the other person's ego and make them like you. Nothing is more cringe than watching dates where someone laughs at everything they say. Let is come natural.
- Don't get drunk: I understand the logic behind wanting to have a drink or two to calm to nerves but when you have one, two, three, four, five...it is a baaad idea. Not only may it make your date uncomfortable but it's just rude to everyone around you that has to put up with your drunken antics. Just don't do it.
- Don't talk too much: If the conversation is flowing then just go with it but don't constantly try and fill in every gap of silence. Let silence be silence. It may also be an opportunity for the other person to speak up.
- Don't ask overly personal questions: A first date should be a relaxed affair where you are getting to know someone and seeing if there is any potential for it to become something more. Sometimes on the show I notice people ask overly personal questions and it's can be awkward. I mean it isn't always awkward and some people actually relish in talking openly about personal things..but most find it too heavy for a first date. So maybe avoid it to be on safe side?
- Don't eat something messy: If you are already feeling quite nervous about the date then make life easy for yourself and eat something moderately easy and avoid overly leafy salads or a crab in which you have to dismantle its body with your bare hands.
So those are the things that First Dates has taught me to never do on a first date.
Disclaimer: Do take this with a grain of salt though! If talking lots and being overly personal has worked for you in the past then who am I to say that it will result in a bad date. These are just the general things I have noticed that have made a First Date go bad.
If you have any other things/tips then feel free to share them in the comments, I bet there is a ton haha.
, by Holly R